rx3 in partnership with Business in the Community Ireland and the Science Gallery are delighted to announce the shortlist for Trash to Cash 2012/2013.
As part of this year’s competition a number of Business in the Community members including Abbott Cootehill, Abbott Sligo, Bord na Mona, Glanbia and Vodafone identified waste streams for students to use in product design. Materials identified by the participating companies included shrink wrap, polypropylene hairnets and beard covers, cardboard, wooden pallets, polypenko track shoes and salt bulk bags.
This is the third year of the Trash to Cash competition. This year students were tasked with creating a product, under the theme of ‘recreate’, using the identified materials within their proposal. A total of 33 entries were submitted to the competition. This has now been shortlisted down to 10 candidates representing 4 colleges Carlow IT, DIT, NUI Maynooth and UCD.
All shortlisted candidates are now invited to present to the judging panel on the 23rd of January 2013 and exhibit at the Awards Ceremony where the winners will be in the Science Gallery on 21st February 2013.
Shortlisted candidates in alphabetical order (by first name on team include)
• Alan Grincell, Carlow IT Chameleon
• Aoife Grogan, Lucia Berlanga Vega, Eric Flannery and Kima Omara, UCD: Whis-Cycle
• Cathal Sheridan, Carlow IT: Huku Amp
• Denis Tiryaki; Carlow IT/ HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany: “Drop”
• Donagh Kelly , Darragh Collopy Michael Lillis NUI Maynooth: Wellen Flip Flop
• Kate Sheppard, Carlow IT; Recreate Chemistry
• Sean Darling, DIT; Boxing Bag
• Shane Mc Guinness and Ian Hannon, Carlow IT: Eco Amp
• Stuart Scanlon and Greg O’ Gorman, NUI Maynooth; Bottle Rocket Kit
• Vincent Derrien, DIT, Recycled Pot Plant Holder
There is a prize fund of €2,000 for the top 3 entrants in the competition. The overall winner will be mentored by a number of designers from the Irish Design Institute and their product will go on sale in the Science Gallery Shop for a limited period subject to product development.
If you’d like to find out more about this competition please contact Lorraine FitzGerald at firstname.lastname@example.org